Are you thinking of starting indoor growing? Well! duplicating a natural thing artificially inside house is quite difficult than most people think, but with little bit of planning and investment, we can successfully start indoor growing.
As soon as you set up your space, you will get munificent rewards. For an average home growing the following steps will help in perfect indoor plantation. For people looking for commercial ventures have
to work a little more ahead of these steps. So, here we go step by step for successful indoor growing.
1. Step-1: Deciding the Style of Growing
The first step involves deciding which growing method you want, whether hydroponic or container style. Container method requires a series of container to grow plants using traditional soil methods. Hydroponic method requires fertilized water and non-soil starter with plants arranged vertically. Generally, now-a- days most of the beginners are preferring hydroponic system because they are sterile and disease free. This system also allows optimal amount of
water and air to reach the roots of the plants. On the other hand, container method is a good option for those who may have plan to rearrange their plants or move it outdoor eventually.
2. Step-2- Finding a right space
After deciding about the growing method, second step is to find a right space in your place. While deciding about the space, you should keep in your mind the size of the plants you are intending to grow and the growing style. If you have planned to grow large plants, then four
plants per square meter is good. Accordingly, you can decide the space. Then if you are planning for middle sized plants, then it is better to grow nine plants per square meter. And for small
plants like see weeds, you can grow twenty small plants for square meter. At home, you can use table, bench or shelves that make some of the best places. You can also purchase a grow tent house. While choosing table or bench you can keep a tarp for collecting
While selecting a perfect space, some factors are taken into consideration. They are:
– Proper ventilation
– Light -proof
– Cleanliness of the area
– Place where pet animal cannot access
– Comfortable for working
3. Step-3: Ventilating the place
The place where you decide to grow your indoors must be well ventilated to avoid growth of molds and mildews. There are several ways for keeping the place ventilated like some people
use a table fan so that the plants will get moving air. Or you can also make a hole in the top of the door or cabinet and hang a fan facing towards the ceiling of the growing room. This also helps in circulating air and maintaining proper ventilation. Ventilation helps in reducing the heat and controls humidity, thus reducing the chance of pathogenic infection. The growing room also have their own odors that can be annoying sometimes, therefore to minimize that you can use carbon filters.
4. Step-4: Proper lightening
For indoor growing, proper lightening is very important. There are different types of grow lights you can use like
– High pressure sodium(HPS),
– LED lights
You have to select according to your need and type of plants. While hanging the lights, it is important to keep enough space in between lights and plant, thus allowing space for growing plants. Depending on the power, light should be hanged 8-31 inches from plants.
Besides, for proper use of the light emittance, it is also important to put some reflecting material on the walls, so that the light that falls on wall reflects back on plants only.
5. Step-5: Controlling the environment
Next step is managing the internal environment, that includes control of temperature, humidity and carbon dioxide. Humidity is controlled by humidifiers, humidistat and dehumidifiers depending on the humidity of your region. However, it is equally important to clean the
humidifiers regularly as it can be breeding grounds for pathogenic microbes, that can destroy your plants. Humidity should be maintained between 30-50 percent. Similarly, temperature is
calculated by thermometer and maintained by fans and lights. Ideal temperature for indoor plants is between 18 to 26 degrees.
6. Step-6: Choosing plants
There are a large variety of plants that can be grown indoors like flowers, vegetables, herbs etc. But among them some plants start flourishing indoors but some will struggle a lot to survive.
Therefore, while choosing plants we have to keep in mind that which will grow better in our place.
7. Step-7: Set up system
After choosing plants you have to set up the place according to your method of growing. If you have chosen container system, then you have to go through following steps
– Choosing container- you can use traditional pots or any containers available in garden supply store and also you can use plastic bottles or old vases.
– Preparing potting mix- For this either you can purchase readymade potting mix or you can make it at home by using coir peat-1part, vermiculite-1 part, and compost-2 parts.
– Set up system- For a large set up you need shelving system and for small set up, any space with all necessary factor will be appropriate. Then set up all necessary environment requirements and place you plants in container filled with potting mix.
– Maintaining the plants– After planting, you should properly maintain the plants. Make sure that the plants are getting everything like light, water, temperature, humidity in required amount. When the plants grow too large, you can transfer them to a large
container or divide them to more numbers.
If you have chosen hydroponic system, then you have to through following steps
– In this system a water tank is placed at the bottom with stacks of plants above it. This fertilized water from the tank is fed to plants using a pump.
– For hydroponic system, a shelving unit or bookshelf will work. Besides, here the plants require a lot of light.
– This system requires container that should not have any traces of chemicals and has a hole in the bottom.
– Then set up the system by placing the water tank in the lower shelve and plant in the upper. There should not be much gap between top and bottom shelves.
– After planting, maintain your system from time to time, to see if it is running smoothly.
So, following these above steps you can easily grow your favorite plants indoors.