There is nothing better than having your own greenhouse!
Unfortunately, many of us don’t have the ideal situation or space for having a traditional greenhouse. This is why we love to resort to different alternatives, such as a shipping container by Micro Lab Farms.
In the last few years, you might have seen a significant increase in repurposed shipping containers. Nowadays, these containers can be used for various things, such as building homes, art galleries, stores, restaurants, etc. One of the most interesting ideas is using a shipping container for your own cannabis greenhouse.
Repurposed shipping containers can help with numerous issues that previously plagued cannabis producers. For example, they are great for urban areas. As more and more countries are allowing the growth of marijuana, containers turns into an ideal solution for all those who want to start a business.
If you live in a big city, you probably understand how troublesome pollution and lack of space can be for plants. No matter what you’re trying to grow, it will be susceptible to the environment. Shipping containers are a great way to circumvent these issues. Whether you’re growing cannabis or some other type of plant, they will provide you with everything you need.
In this article, we will talk about some main things you need to know regarding cargo containers. Stay with us!
How do you create a shipping container greenhouse?
Obviously, in order to start the process, you’ll be needing a shipping container.
Depending on the space you have available, you can choose between 20 feet and 40 feet cargo container. We recommend that you buy an open-top container as this will allow your plants to grow properly.
Although you can find some open-top containers on the market, there is also a possibility to open it yourself. This is done by cutting the top. You will need some serious power tools to do this job, so you might even consider hiring a person who has done similar stuff in the past.
Once this is done, your container will be very similar to the traditional greenhouse.
The next thing you need to do is add racks where marijuana pots will be placed.
Another cool thing you can choose to do is getting a hydroponics system. Hydroponics systems are fantastic for the shipping containers as they allow you to grow plants without any soil. On the other hand, if you do decide to rely on soil, you can get a drip irrigation system.
Benefits of shipping container greenhouse for marijuana
There are simply too many benefits when it comes to using a container for growing marijuana. Here are some of the major ones:
- It is very cheap. Nowadays, people use containers for almost anything. They are widespread, and no matter where you live, you can order them for a good price. Online shopping makes the whole process even easier and cheaper.
- Whether you decide to go with hydroponics or a drip system, you can rest assured that your plants will be well fed. Both of them will give marijuana plants the necessary ingredients so they can go big and strong.
- Shipping containers are pretty straightforward and simple to use and maintain. There will be no special requirements, nor will you have to invest lots of time. All you will have to focus on are things such as getting the right fertilizers and pesticides. It’s not that easy, but it’s still easier than having a traditional garden.
- You can grow plants all year long. Unlike traditional gardens, cargo containers can maintain the same conditions throughout the year. This would allow you to get several harvests. The same of course, goes for cannabis. This makes them very lucrative for people who are doing it for profit.
- If you’re growing marijuana or some other plants for local needs, the urban farming will significantly cut your transportation costs. Unlike farmers who are growing in the village, you have a competitive advantage by growing plants in the city and delivering them to your local restaurants and shops.
Shipping containers are a great solution for people who are in the marijuana business but can also be used by your regular farmers.
Before you decide to proceed with this idea, make sure everything is in place. Different states have different legislation, and you probably know how sensitive the marijuana topic is. So, make sure to do the proper research beforehand, and you will be ready for this challenge!