When should I harvest the buds from my cannabis plant? That is the eternal question…
I’m sure the answer we’re all thinking is “Not soon enough!”
Unfortunately for us impatient growers, harvesting at the right time is just as important as how you grow the plant. Harvest too soon and you lose potency and cannabis yields; too late and you can end up making a batch of sleep medicine.
You only need 3 things to determine the best marijuana harvest time:
- The knowledge of when to harvest – You get that today!
- Eyes for visual inspection – You’ve probably had these for a while!
- A magnifying tool – Makes the glittery, resin-filled trichomes on your buds easier to see; although not 100% necessary, this lets you time your harvest perfectly to get the exact effects you’re looking for
When it comes to magnifying tools for growing, there are a few options:
- Jewelers Loupe – This is the cheapest and most low tech way to get the job done. Unfortunately, it will also give you the least insight into how your buds are doing.
- Handheld Magnifier – These can create a much larger picture because they can magnify more than a jewelers loupe. However, this power makes them a bit harder to focus.
- Digital Microscope – A digital microscope is the final word in determining harvest time. It costs a bit more and needs a connecting laptop, but it’ll get you face-to-face with your trichomes. You’ll be almost uncomfortably close to your trichomes! Check out the videosin the article for a demonstration!