GWE’s 2017 Cannabis Seed Bank Review – Where To Buy Marijuana Seeds Online
We have maintained this list since 2010 with reviews of the marijuana seed sources that we use at GrowWeedEasy.com. These seed banks take online orders and ship cannabis seeds worldwide (including the USA!). We only recommend companies with outstanding stealth, reliability, customer service, and seed quality. This certainly isn’t a list of all good seed banks, but these are the seed banks we know and use ourselves.
Last updated March 27, 2017.
It’s scary ordering cannabis seeds online for the first time, and it’s really important to make sure you get your seeds from a trusted source! Not only will that help ensure your safety and security, it also keeps you from getting scammed or ripped off with poor quality seeds or even no seeds!
Learn about cannabis seed banks that deliver to you!
(including all states in the U.S.)
- Free seed promotions & huge selection of strains
- Choose their “Guaranteed Delivery” option when checking out for guaranteed stealth shipping. This ensures your seeds will get to you no matter what.
- They only carry strains by reputable breeders, and also breed and grow their own strains in-house. They make it easy to find a strain for your needs and grow space – use their seed selector to find a suitable strain
- Long-lasting & trustworthy company – Seedsman has been providing cannabis seeds since 2003 and they have made a name for themselves as a professional seed source.
- Accepts a wide variety of payment options (bank transfer, cash, credit cards, debit cards, checks, postal orders, money orders, Bitcoin – recommended for discounts and nobody but you and the seller can know what you are buying)
- Choosing to add “Guaranteed Delivery” to your order combined with the price of shipping can make ordering from this place a little pricey, especially if you’re buying just a few seeds at a time.
Located: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Ships: Worldwide Except Australia (highly recommended choice for buying cannabis seeds in the USA!)
- Great Prices
- Fast, Discreet Shipping – Nirvana is one of the most stealthy seed vendors – seeds arrive quickly, on time, with inconspicuous packaging. Once I couldn’t find the seeds in my package and had to contact Nirvana customer service to know where to look!
- Responsive Customer Service – they actually breed and grow their strains in house, so they can accurately answer your questions
- Well-Established – The people who founded Nirvana have been breeding award-winning strains and selling seeds around the world by mail order since the 1980s, and Nirvana as an international seed source opened for business in 1995.
- Read customer reviews about each strain and leave your own reviews
- Promptly ships more seeds for free if you have any problems or if seeds do not arrive
- Accepts a wide variety of payment options (bank draft, cash, credit, etc)
- Visit them in person if you’re in Amsterdam!
- Since they breed their own seeds (hence their slogan “straight from the source”), they only carry strains developed by Nirvana. And although they have great strains, this means you have a much smaller selection than a huge “seed bank”.
- Unfortunately, no seeds shipped to Australia
We grow Nirvana Strains! View a grow journal featuring two of their famous strains!
Located: U.K. (not “Original” Sensible Seeds from Spain)
- Huge selection and pretty good prices
- Prompt shipping, extra stealth options and guaranteed shipping.
- In business since 2011
- They keep you informed about what’s going on with your order throughout the process, and send a personal email the day before your seeds arrive to let you know to expect them.
- Quickly ships more seeds for free if you have any problems
- Accepts a wide variety of payment methods, including telephone order, Western Union Transfer, Bank transfer, Check, Money Order, Cash, Mail order and most major Debit/Credit cards
- Website can be slow – sometimes it takes a long time to load between pages
USA residents, please note that international orders will usually not go through if you try to use a standard pre-paid debit or credit card to order seeds unless it specifically says it will work internationally.
Debit or Credit Cards
What do we use to pay at GWE? I (Nebula) personally use a regular credit card every time I order cannabis seeds online. I’ve also used a debit card, too.
I like using a credit card when ordering seeds because in general credit card companies tend to offer better protection for online purchases than a bank. If there ever is a problem with a purchase of any kind, a credit card company will instantly give you a refund, while a bank tends to make you wait while they do an investigation.
Although this has never happened to me personally, when placing an order sometimes a card won’t go through because the overseas transaction has been flagged as suspicious. If that happens to you, you may need to call in to the bank to let them know you approve of the order. This seems to be a relatively quick and easy process, or you could always take your card and try somewhere else. It seems like this only happens sometimes with certain cards and seed companies.
What About Paypal?
You will rarely see a seed company that offers Paypal as a payment option. This is because cannabis seed sales are prohibited by Paypal and a seed company’s account will get shut down instantly if Paypal finds out what they’re selling. However, just between you and me, sometimes if you email a seed company first and ask, they’ll be able to accomodate you with alternate payment options that aren’t offered on their website. But make sure to be cool and don’t ever message a seed company through Paypal so they don’t get in trouble. Always email them through their personal email or website!
Is It Safe to Send Cash?
I personally have never sent cash through the mail. However, I know dozens of our readers have bought seeds online with cash, and surprisingly they haven’t had problems. If you do send cash, make sure to only use a trusted seed source like the ones listed above, and always wrap your cash in paper so no one can see there’s cash inside through the envelope! It’s probably a good idea to start with a relatively small order, so you can test the system and the company before sending a large amount of cash through the mail! Remember, once it’s lost, it’s lost!
There’s lots of great information about strains online, and via the Seed Finder link above.
My best suggestion is to do a little research on the strain andbreeder, and grow a strain that seems interesting or exciting to you. If you’re still not sure, a great option for first time growers isNorthern Lights, since this strain is potent, stays short, is easy to grow, quick to harvest, and has a relatively low smell compared to most other strains.
But there are lots of strains that are suitable for first-time growers! What’s most important is to choose a strain that intrigues you, that way you’ll be unbelievably excited when you receive your seeds!
Although there is no “best cannabis seed bank” there are many companies that have been used by hundreds of real cannabis growers like you and proven to be great and consistent sources of marijuana seeds.
The two creators of this site (Sirius and Nebula) live in the US and we rely exclusively on ordering seeds overseas for our own grows. We put together this list of popular seed sources including the ones we order from the most and why. Each of these marijuana seedbanks, seed vendors, and breeders have been put on this list based on their reliability, stealth, strain choice and how long they’ve been in the business.
If you’ve never done anything like this before, I bet your heart is racing at the idea of ordering something like cannabis seeds online. Federal law prohibits people from growing cannabis and you are worried. That’s good! It’s good to be careful, especially when it comes to growing weed! But…
Due to current customs laws in America, if your seed package from overseas gets caught in the mail, you don’t get put on a list.
First of all, I’m talking from not just my own experience (I’ve been ordering cannabis seeds online regularly since 2008) but also the experience of the hundreds of thousands of growers from the USA who come to GrowWeedEasy.com every month. For myself and for other growers, on the occasions where my seeds have been caught by customs in the mail, the U.S. customs agents simply toss the seeds and send you the rest of your package with an official looking letter explaining that your seeds were confiscated.
If that happens you, the next step is to contact the seed bank so they’ll send you a replacement package. Unless otherwise stated, all reputable seed banks will replace your seeds if they somehow get lost in the mail, and no one gives it a second thought. That’s how routine it is!
Many, many growers order seeds online every day, and to this day there has never been a report of someone in the USA getting in legal trouble for simply ordering cannabis seeds online. You can check me on that! In fact, American citizens have been ordering seeds overseas via mail order from Amsterdam since at least the 1970s, and even though it’s been over 40 years there hasn’t been a case of an American getting in legal trouble simply for ordering cannabis seeds online through the mail!
An American citizen won’t get in legal trouble for ordering cannabis seeds online from outside the country
However, because of the (backwards) way U.S. federal laws work surrounding cannabis, you can get in a lot of legal trouble for selling or sending seeds from one place to another within the USA, even between legal states! That’s why you never see long-term cannabis seed banks located in the U.S.
When marijuana seeds get caught by customs agents during shipping, the seeds get tossed and that’s it. It doesn’t matter what state you’re in, or your local laws. That is simply the way our laws about customs work. On the flip side, you can get in a lot of trouble by sending seeds from one place to the other within the US (though this is still very, very rare).
I have personally spoken with hundreds if not thousands of growers over the years, and we’ve all had the same experience when it comes to ordering seeds. If you go to any online forum about growing cannabis and speak to other US growers, they will tell you the same thing. This is a very personal decision, and you need to listen to your instincts, but I believe the evidence speaks for itself!
A big tip for ordering cannabis seeds online…
Be Patient! In my experience ordering cannabis seeds from overseas, they generally arrive at my house in the US about 1-4 weeks after my initial order. It’s normally pretty quick, but it can take longer. I had a package go missing once, and they sent another. I got the replacement, and then a week later the original one showed up, a full 6 weeks after it was shipped!
I guess what I’m trying to say is, if it’s only been a few weeks, try to be patient and not worry because packages can get caught up. But if it’s been more than 2 or 3 weeks definitely contact the seed bank with any questions! They have experience with this and will be able to help you!
So what should you be worried about when it comes to security? Telling People!
When it comes to ordering seeds online, you have a lot of wiggle room as far as law enforcement is concerned if you live in the US or the UK. In these countries ordering seeds online is really a non-priority and the government is going to leave you alone about it. While they will go after growers they will not go after people just for ordering seeds.
So that’s a really important distinction you need to remember. When it comes to growing security, seeds by themselves may be technically illegal but you will never get in trouble for merely possessing seeds. It’s not worth anyone’s time to go after you for that.
What you need to be worried about is making sure no one knows you’re actually growing cannabis, that you currently have live cannabis plants in your house. That is what the government and law enforcement (as well as thieves) actually care about. They don’t want to knock down the door of anyone who may have ordered seeds, and instead put their resources into people who have been reported to be growing live plants.
Telling someone about your plants is hands-down the number one reason growers get caught – they told someone, whether it was a friend, a stranger, or even a family member, and that person (often meaning the best) told someone else, who told the wrong person…
How to Really Not Get Caught…
Don’t tell your friends that you’re growing! This may seem like it’s common sense, but this is the number one most common reason cannabis growers get caught, because they told a friend who told a friend who told the wrong person. Hundreds of seeds get confiscated every day, but no one gets in legal trouble.
Don’t worry about seeds getting caught in the mail; worry about a friend or family member finding out! No matter how much you trust someone, you can never trust someone else as closely as yourself. Never ever tell anyone you grow your own weed, for any reason. It’s tempting to brag about your awesome growing skills and top-shelf bud, but you never want to even hint that you know how to grow to anyone! If other people are talking about growing marijuana, bite your lip and act dumb!
Remember: If you can’t trust yourself not to tell anyone, how can you trust them not to tell anyone else?
If you have done your research and are now considering purchasing cannabis seeds online, then you may be surprised to learn that it is actually very reliable and safe to buy your marijuana seeds online from a reputable seed bank. Some seed banks will even take payments from Paypal if you contact them first!
Have you decided you want to see a marijuana leaf growing in real life? Have you dreamed of seeing a real live marijuana plant growing in your home?
Ordering weed seeds online from a seed bank will allow you to purchase feminized seeds (all-female marijuana seeds) and will also let you pick the exact strain to match your size and time requirements.
Having only female weed seeds is a huge advantage for the small grower who won’t be breeding new strains and may have limited space and doesn’t want to have to waste time and energy on throwing away half their cannabis plants at the flowering stage because they ended up being male cannabis plants.
Easy access to buy incredibly potent cannabis strains is another great reason many growers choose to buy weed seeds online.
Common Question: Where do I buy marijuana seeds in the USA?
You have only a few real options:
- Use random bagseed that you find
- Know someone who will sell, trade or give you seeds/clones
- Buy seeds of specific marijuana strains online
Before anyone can start growing marijuana they have to first get their hands on marijuana seeds or clones.
Marijuana seeds are often the easiest for new growers to start with because, unlike marijuana clones, they don’t require access to someone who is already growing marijuana plants. When you see your first tiny little weed leaf you will know it was all worth it!
USA Residents Please Note:
For USA residents, international orders will not go through if you try to use a pre-paid debit or credit card. This used to be a way to add security to your order (purchase a pre-paid card in cash, then use that to make your online order) but these cards no longer work with any international order due to a change in laws that occured in 2012. However, there are lots of safe options to get marijuana seeds in the USA.
If you’re trying to figure out which cannabis seed banks deliver to the USA or another specific part of the world, you can find those answers in the list on this page!
The tips and advice in this article about buying marijuana seeds online are only meant to be used by those who can legally buy marijuana seeds and grow marijuana according to all applicable laws. We are not lawyers and are not able to provide any sort of legal advice. We do not in any way recommend that you use this information to buy pot seeds if it is not legal for you to do so. Please do not proceed to use any of this seed sales information if you will commit a crime by following the steps outlined in this article, even if you are growing for pain relief, medical research, or another reasonable purpose.
How to Improve & Strengthen Smell of Buds
- Specialized Nutrients & Supplements
- Light Quality (Use Strong Light with Extra UV)
- Grow in “Living” Soil (Super Soil)
- Control Temperature & Humidity Last 6 Weeks
- Flush 1-2 Weeks Before Harvest
- Harvest Using the Right Technique
- Dry & Cure Buds After Harvest (CRUCIAL – don’t skip this!)
- NO Scent Neutralizers
- Common Mistakes Can Ruin Buds Near Harvest
- Start with the Right Genetics
by Nebula Haze
Cannabis buds can come in all shapes and sizes! Although variety is the spice of life, it can make it a little confusing to know when to harvest your buds based on how your plants look. But if you harvest when buds are ready you’ll get the best yields and potency, so it’s a good idea to try to harvest as the right time if you can!
We have a full harvest tutorial, but this article is mostly just a picture gallery 🙂
When buds first appear on your plant they look like little round puffs of hair. Each bud is made up of many white hairs (“pistils”) that stick straight out.
Baby buds (budlets) look like a ball of white hairs. These buds have many weeks to go!
Still Not Ready
As the plant buds get closer to harvest, they thicken and those white pistils start to darken and curl in. You’ll notice your buds are slowly getting thicker and more dense. However if you still have a lot of straight white pistils, like this bud, you know you still have a few weeks to go.
Ready to Harvest
You’re in the harvest window when most of the pistils have darkened and curled in. This bud is now ready to harvest!
BC’s illegal marijuana trade industry has evolved into a business giant, dubbed by some involved as ‘The Union’, Commanding upwards of $7 billion Canadian annually. With up to 85% of ‘BC Bud’ being exported to the United States, the trade has become an international issue. Follow filmmaker Adam Scorgie as he demystifies the underground market and brings to light how an industry can function while remaining illegal. Through growers, police officers, criminologists, economists, doctors, politicians and pop culture icons, Scorgie examines the cause and effect nature of the business – an industry that may be profiting more by being illegal.
– Written by Brett Harvey
- Start with Top-Shelf Genetics – get the effects and appearance you want! Your grow skill makes a huge difference, but a plant can’t overcome its genes! If you want buds that are potent, dense, sparkly or purple/pink, you need the right genetics.
- Give Your Cannabis Lots of Light! – this increases yields, density and potency
- Nutrients & Supplements – learn about smell enhancers, bloom boosters and bulk builders!
- Better Taste, Better Smell – learn other techniques to increase terpene content so buds taste and smell better
- Manipulate Temperature & Humidity in the flowering stage to increase resin production (“glitter” and stickiness), bring out colors like pink or purple & prevent smells from burning away
- Great Air Flow Around Every Cola – you can gain surprising increases in the size and density of your buds by making sure that every cola gets lots of direct light and good air flow from the beginning to the end of the flowering stage. Cannabis is wind-pollinated in the wild and so more energy is put into buds that have been exposed to a breeze from when they first started forming.
- Master the Basics of Growing – especially harvesting, trimming and drying/curing! Although a lot of growers don’t pay as much attention to what happens to plants after harvest as during the grow itself, these 3 post-harvest factors determine almost 50% of your final bud appearance. Properly drying/curing also intensifies smell and increases bud potency!
Bonus: Is CO2 Worth the Trouble?
Why Do Growers Dry and “Cure” Cannabis Buds?
Your buds are ready for harvest, yet your job as a grower is not quite over yet. You still need to put your newly harvested buds through the cannabis curing process.
In order to ensure the best quality for your freshly harvested buds, you must prepare your buds with a process known as curing, which involves drying your buds slowly in a controlled environment, then keeping buds in glass jars over the course of a few weeks to let certain natural plant processes occur.
Growers cure marijuana buds because they will not achieve their peak potency and quality if they’re uncured. If you started with great genetics and you’ve taken care of your marijuana plants properly during their life, then curing is what makes the difference between “just okay” and trophy-worthy buds.
by Nebula Haze
This is a super condensed version of this tutorial! You may also enjoy our marijuana life timeline or complete beginner’s guide. The following tutorial is very basic, but if you follow just these steps you will get to harvest!
Step 1: Choose Your Place to Grow
I personally think grow tents are a cheap (under $100) and easy way to set up the perfect grow environment, but there are lots of great places to grow!
by Sirius Fourside
Many growing methods seem like common sense once you’re actually aware of them. For example, low stress training seems like an obvious thing to do once you understand that exposing more of the plant to light makes for more buds.
This week, we’re revisiting a topic that many newer growers may be unaware of: The Perpetual Harvest. The idea of the Perpetual Harvest is very simple in nature, so it might not seem like much. But it’s one of the best methods of ensuring a steady supply of cannabis when you need it.
The Perpetual Harvest is a technique in which growers utilize multiple grow tents/areas to ensure that there are always plants in both the flowering stage and in the vegetative stage.